Does Amtrak Go to Sedona, AZ?
Sedona, Arizona is a popular tourist destination known for its red rock cliffs, stunning scenery, and abundance of hiking and biking trails. But can you get there by train?
The answer is yes, Amtrak does offer service to Sedona. However, it’s not a direct route, so you’ll have to make a connection in Flagstaff. The total journey time is about 5 hours.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at Amtrak’s Sedona service, including the different routes you can take, the cost of tickets, and the pros and cons of traveling by train.
We’ll also provide some tips on how to make the most of your trip to Sedona, whether you’re traveling by train or by car.
|Does Amtrak Go to Sedona AZ?
|Amtrak’s Southwest Chief train runs from Los Angeles to Chicago, with a stop in Sedona AZ.
|Amtrak Southwest Chief
Amtrak Service to Sedona AZ
Amtrak does not have a direct service to Sedona AZ. However, there are several Amtrak routes that stop in Flagstaff, AZ, which is about a 2-hour drive from Sedona.
Amtrak routes that serve Flagstaff, AZ
The following Amtrak routes stop in Flagstaff, AZ:
- The Southwest Chief: This route runs from Chicago to Los Angeles and stops in Flagstaff on its way.
- The Sunset Limited: This route runs from Los Angeles to New Orleans and stops in Flagstaff on its way.
- The Texas Eagle: This route runs from Chicago to San Antonio and stops in Flagstaff on its way.
Amtrak stations in Flagstaff, AZ
The Amtrak station in Flagstaff is located at 1 East Rte 66. The station is open 24 hours a day and has a waiting room, restrooms, and vending machines.
Amtrak fares to Flagstaff, AZ
The fare to Flagstaff from Chicago on the Southwest Chief is $169. The fare to Flagstaff from Los Angeles on the Sunset Limited is $119. The fare to Flagstaff from San Antonio on the Texas Eagle is $159.
Alternative Transportation Options to Sedona AZ
If you are unable to take Amtrak to Flagstaff, there are several other transportation options available to you.
Bus service to Sedona AZ
There is no direct bus service to Sedona AZ. However, there are several bus routes that stop in Flagstaff, AZ, which you can then take a taxi or Uber to Sedona.
The following bus routes stop in Flagstaff, AZ:
- Greyhound: Greyhound offers bus service from Phoenix to Flagstaff. The fare is $25 and the journey takes about 3 hours.
- Megabus: Megabus offers bus service from Los Angeles to Flagstaff. The fare is $25 and the journey takes about 5 hours.
- Amtrak Thruway Motorcoach: Amtrak Thruway Motorcoach offers bus service from Phoenix to Flagstaff. The fare is $25 and the journey takes about 3 hours.
Car rental in Sedona AZ
There are several car rental companies located in Sedona AZ. You can rent a car from any of these companies and drive to Sedona from Flagstaff. The drive from Flagstaff to Sedona takes about 2 hours.
Driving to Sedona AZ
If you have a car, you can drive to Sedona from Flagstaff. The drive takes about 2 hours. The route is as follows:
- Take I-40 East from Flagstaff to Sedona.
- Take Exit 203 for SR 179.
- Follow SR 179 into Sedona.
Amtrak does not have a direct service to Sedona AZ. However, there are several Amtrak routes that stop in Flagstaff, AZ, which is about a 2-hour drive from Sedona. There are also several other transportation options available to you, including bus service, car rental, and driving.
Does Amtrak Go to Sedona AZ?
No, Amtrak does not go to Sedona AZ. The closest Amtrak station to Sedona is Flagstaff, Arizona, which is about 60 miles away. Amtrak does offer bus service from Flagstaff to Sedona, however. The bus ride takes about an hour and a half.
Things to Do in Sedona AZ
Sedona is a popular tourist destination due to its stunning natural beauty. The city is located in the heart of the Sedona Red Rock Country, which is known for its red sandstone cliffs, canyons, and mesas. There are many things to do in Sedona, including hiking, biking, camping, fishing, and sightseeing.
Sedona’s Natural Attractions
Some of the most popular natural attractions in Sedona include:
- Cathedral Rock: This iconic rock formation is one of the most photographed landmarks in Sedona. It is located on the west side of the city and offers stunning views of the surrounding area.
- Bell Rock: Another popular rock formation, Bell Rock is located just south of Cathedral Rock. It is a popular spot for hiking and rock climbing.
- Devil’s Bridge: This natural bridge is located in the Coconino National Forest. It is a popular spot for hiking and photography.
- Sedona Canyon: This canyon is located just north of the city. It is home to a variety of hiking trails, as well as a swimming hole.
- Slide Rock State Park: This park is located about 10 miles south of Sedona. It is known for its natural water slide, as well as its hiking trails and swimming holes.
Sedona’s Cultural Attractions
Sedona is also home to a number of cultural attractions, including:
- The Sedona Arts Center: This center hosts a variety of art exhibitions, classes, and workshops.
- The Sedona Heritage Museum: This museum tells the story of Sedona’s history and culture.
- The Sedona Vortexes: Sedona is home to a number of vortexes, which are said to be places of spiritual energy. There are a number of tours that you can take to visit the vortexes.
Sedona’s Dining Options
Sedona has a variety of dining options to choose from, including:
- Fine dining: There are a number of fine dining restaurants in Sedona, serving everything from traditional American cuisine to international fare.
- Casual dining: There are also a number of casual dining options in Sedona, including cafes, bistros, and pizza restaurants.
- Snacks and drinks: There are also a number of places to grab a quick snack or drink in Sedona, including coffee shops, bars, and ice cream shops.
Planning Your Trip to Sedona AZ
When planning your trip to Sedona, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
When to visit: The best time to visit Sedona is during the shoulder seasons, which are spring and fall. The weather is mild during these times, and there are fewer tourists.
Where to stay: There are a variety of hotels, motels, and bed and breakfasts in Sedona. You can also choose to stay in one of the many campgrounds in the area.
Things to pack: When packing for your trip to Sedona, be sure to include comfortable shoes for hiking, as well as a swimsuit for swimming. You may also want to pack a light jacket, as the weather can change quickly.
Getting around: The best way to get around Sedona is by car. There are also a number of shuttle services that can take you to the different attractions in the area.
Additional tips: Here are a few additional tips for planning your trip to Sedona:
- Book your accommodations in advance, especially if you are visiting during peak season.
- Be prepared for the heat. The summers in Sedona can be hot, so be sure to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated.
- Take advantage of the free activities in Sedona. There are a number of hiking trails, swimming holes, and vortexes that you can visit without spending any money.
- Get out of your car and explore Sedona on foot. There are a number of charming shops, restaurants, and art galleries in the downtown area.
Sedona is a beautiful city with a lot to offer visitors. Whether you are looking for stunning natural scenery, cultural attractions, or delicious dining options, Sedona has something for everyone.
Q: Does Amtrak go to Sedona, AZ?
A: No, Amtrak does not currently have any service to Sedona, AZ. However, there are several other ways to get to Sedona by train. You can take Amtrak to Flagstaff, AZ, which is about 50 miles from Sedona. From Flagstaff, you can take a shuttle or bus to Sedona. You can also fly into the Sedona Airport, which is about 10 miles from Sedona.
Q: What is the closest Amtrak station to Sedona?
A: The closest Amtrak station to Sedona is the Flagstaff Amtrak Station. The station is located about 50 miles from Sedona.
Q: How long does it take to get from Flagstaff to Sedona by train?
A: The train ride from Flagstaff to Sedona takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Q: What are the best ways to get from Flagstaff to Sedona?
There are several ways to get from Flagstaff to Sedona. You can take a shuttle or bus, rent a car, or drive yourself. The shuttle and bus rides take about 1 hour and 30 minutes. The drive takes about 1 hour.
Q: How much does it cost to get from Flagstaff to Sedona by train?
The cost of a train ticket from Flagstaff to Sedona starts at $20.
Q: What are the pros and cons of taking the train to Sedona?
There are several pros and cons to taking the train to Sedona. Some of the pros include:
- The train is a scenic way to travel.
- The train is a more environmentally friendly way to travel.
- The train is a more affordable way to travel than flying or driving.
Some of the cons of taking the train to Sedona include:
- The train ride takes longer than driving or flying.
- The train does not have as many direct routes as flying or driving.
- The train is not as convenient as flying or driving.
Amtrak does not currently offer service to Sedona, AZ. However, there are a number of other transportation options available to travelers, including bus, car, and plane. Each option has its own advantages and disadvantages, so travelers should carefully consider their needs and budget before making a decision.
- Miranda is the owner and chief event officer of Spoke Events. She started the company after years of planning and styling event for friends and family. When she’s not planning weddings and events, Miranda is likely to be spotted at her favorite coffee shop, laptop in-hand or planning her next vacation. Miranda is also the owner and co-founder of Spoke Events sister company, Flourish.