My friend Cassie (of Northern Native Photography) and I wanted to do some baking the other day and since I hadn’t made a cake in some time, we decided on a mini layer cake. The problem? We couldn’t figure out what flavor of cake to make.
Everything sounded good! But then I went to get coffee, which is what I always do when I can’t make a decision, and the woman sitting next to me was drinking a chai latte. It smelled delicious and in that moment, I realized I needed spice cake. So spice cake I made.
If you’re craving a little bit of sugar and spice, then this is recipe is for you.
Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice Cake
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1 ½ cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
(for the frosting)
8 ounces cream cheese
¾ cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
· Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
· In a large standing mixer or mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, butter, brown sugar, and buttermilk.
· In a small mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla. Add to the batter in three additions.
· Divide batter into pans
· Bake 15-20 minutes
· Remove cakes from pans and let cool
· Beat cream cheese and butter together
· Add powdered sugar and vanilla
· Frost cake, use flowers and macaroons to decorate if you so choose